Welcome to the page on my career and work history to date.
Air Niugini, Port Moresby PNG, Mar2010 – Mar2017
ICT Advisor Specialist
The latest role in my career to date was to provide ICT technical leadership and project management on WAN solution architecture, disaster recovery data centre establishment, airline ground-handling system migrations, infrastructure migrations for airline reservations and departure control systems, airline operational messaging, mentoring and training.
- achieved savings USD60,000 per month on data links
- project-managed and designed networking for Disaster Recovery Data Centre worth USD1,200,000
- rolled out over 400 desktop computers country-wide and optical fibre links
- achieved dual-carrier redundancy for 40 data links country-wide using two competing telco providers
- successfully researched and implemented a destination-based ip NAT solution obviating change of computer ip addresses by the users
- upgraded network capacity for sales and airport offices in Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Manila, Honiara, Narita, Tokyo, Dubai, and Port Moresby
- upgraded country-wide network links by tendering in-country and internationally, evaluating responses, negotiating service level agreements, configuring implementing and delivering all outport links
- provided technical leadership and hands-on network implementation expertise for the replacement cargo system by coordinating with the overseas host, international network provider, and outport managers
- helped Air Niugini participate in the Nadi airport common use infrastructure by conducting talks with the airport authority and the international network provider
- project-managed and implemented the interconnection of competing network providers at Changi Airport, allowing SATS to continue ground-handling for Air Niugini
- provided co-project-management, technical authority, and implementation expertise in the infrastructure and network establishment for the Jupiter project in-country and overseas
- negotiated and implemented an optic fibre link that allowed for the first time interconnectivity between two competing local network providers for the end purpose of giving outports access to corporate servers (e.g. email) at headquarters – the first time optic fibre cable was deployed in the company for data communications
- prepared and presented induction courses, technical training, and provided mentoring
Miller Consulting, Auckland NZ, Sep2009 – Mar2010
Provided consultancy on airline messaging and Cisco networking design
SITA, Auckland NZ, Jul2000 – Aug2009
Business Consultant Messaging
Consulted globally to airlines, airports and government authorities on aeronautical messaging, commonly known as Type B and SITATEX, and corporate email platforms, namely Microsoft Exchange and IBM Domino, to reduce operational messaging costs and to optimise corporate messaging.
- generated over USD500,000 revenue in 18 months
- achieved 20-30% savings on airline operational messaging costs
- contributed to over USD1,000,000 in potential pull-through revenue on non-messaging services
Solution Designer Data Networks
Provided pre-sales support by developing business opportunities, designing network solutions proactively and in response to RFPs, RFQs, RFIs, SQRs.
- generated over USD100,000 of new business revenue in 4 months of joining
- designed international WAN solutions for government and airline customers worth more than USD3,150,000 per annum in revenue
- Power of Attorney assignee for SITA in Auckland
- personally pursued and completed specialist training on Type B messaging
Telstra, Auckland NZ, Nov1999 – Feb2000
Manager Customer Services
Managed a customer-facing team to answer, diagnose, own, and resolve complaints from corporate customers. Develop fault-handling processes, internal service level agreements with supporting departments and externally for third-party suppliers. Arranged and provided customer services and technical training for the Fault Management Centre team. Developed and implemented key performance indicators and produced daily, weekly, and monthly reports.
- reduced outstanding faults by about 30% in one month
- completed customer services training within 5 weeks of starting
- recruited two replacement Customer Service Representatives
- developed and implemented processes, procedures, and work instructions
CLEAR Communications, Auckland NZ, Apr1993 – Mar1999
Manager Services Planning – Networks Directorate
Led a team of telecommunications engineers to develop products and services on voice switches, intelligent network (IN) servers, asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) network, Frame Relay, and TCP/IP platforms. Developed network evolution strategies, translated marketing needs into designs, and managed the orderly deployment of services. Improved and used internal processes while proactively responding to complex short-to-medium term – and typically unplanned – revenue initiatives. Provided technical assistance, third line operational support and pre-sales consultancy to other internal departments.
- saved NZD670,000 through successful vendor negotiations
- improved Call Centre efficiency by about 80%
- managed the General Manager’s NZD1,800,000 expense budget to within 7% of plan
- justified and acquired testing facilities that achieved annual savings of about 15% in product testing and training, and increased efficiencies in product development efficiencies of 15-20%
- improved product development efficiencies by about 8% through significant input into the creation of the Product Development Process
- transformed telecommunications engineers’ attitude by about 70% from being an elitist group to a strong customer-focused team
Telecom, Auckland NZ, Feb1979 – Mar1993
Manager Commercial – Design & Build Department
Managed a team to process and manage inter-company trading between Telecom Auckland and the other Telecom New Zealand operating subsidiaries.
- project-managed the inter-company commercial component of a national facilities management project (AM/FM – automated mapping facilities management) worth about NZD27 million
- produced and managed inter-company service level agreements
Manager Technology – Network Operations Department
Managed a team of telecommunication engineers to produce network plans and designs, and to assist the operational groups. Produced engineering designs, network plans, operating procedures, specialising in telex, data, and packet switching technologies.
- project-managed the Auckland part of the national network management system (NMS), total worth about ND$5.3 million
- saved over NZD90,000 in company costs and one salary (about NZD48,000 per annum) by winning a court case against a dismissed senior engineer
- led Total Quality Management workshops and managed internal organisational changes
Senior Engineer – Equipment Operations
Produce specifications and design modifications in accordance with the fundamental voice and data network plans. Assign one project to post-graduate professional registration as required by IPENZ (Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand).
- designed switch software operating data for telex, data, and packet switching networks
- produced and maintained single-handedly the Auckland part of the “111” emergency procedures, delivering to the needs of the Fire, Police, and Ambulance authorities
- Trained in designing telecommunications transmission networks, outside plant, switching equipment, power engineering plants and building services
Assistant Engineer, SamoaTel, Apia, Samoa
- Completed post-graduate and practical training on installation of Samoa’s first satellite earth station, including 3 weeks in the United Kingdom to oversee the assembly and integration tests by project manager Plessey UK
- Commenced telecommunications engineering career in New Zealand Post Office (pre-Telecom New Zealand) while completing BE (Electrical) degree
May 1980 University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Graduated with Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical)